Fawley refinery: Union says 100-tonne platform collapsed

ONE OF Britain’s biggest unions has claimed that a “major incident” at Fawley refinery involved the collapse of a 100-tonne platform.

Unite, which represents some of the 2,500 workers employed at the site, says someone could easily have been killed when the structure gave way.

Workers have been told the incident involved a leak of liquid petroleum gas (LPG) and resulted in part of the refinery being sealed off.

As reported in the Daily Echo, the events of November 8 caused widespread concern among people living in the Fawley and Blackfield area.

Daily Echo: Flares lit up the night sky following an incident at Fawley refinery earlier this monthFlares lit up the night sky following an incident at Fawley refinery earlier this month (Picture: Newsquest.)

Two flares at the huge petro-chemical complex could be seen for miles around and were even visible from aircraft flying over the area.

In a statement issued at the time ExxonMobil said: “Earlier this evening we experienced an operational issue on one of our units. Our own on-site teams are responding and working to address the situation and isolate the unit in question.

“We are using our flares, which are part of our standard safety and operational procedures, to assist with this work.”

READ MORE: Fawley refinery: flares lit in ‘operational incident’

Unite regional organizer Malcolm Bonnett emailed the refinery the next day and demanded an explanation.

He said: “What is going on at Fawley? This is a major incident and it’s being treated like a stroll in the park. Extremely lucky no one was killed.”

Daily Echo: Flares at Fawley refinery were visible from aircraft flying over the areaFlares at Fawley refinery were visible from aircraft flying over the area (Picture: Martini Archive)

The incident involved the catalytic cracker, which helps convert crude oil into high-octane petrol.

An internal memo sent to Fawley staff on November 9 said: “Yesterday we experienced an LPG leak in the area of ​​the CAT Plant.

“Our onsite response teams moved quickly to address this and safely isolated the unit. There were no injuries and the incident is fully under control.

“As a precaution, a 250m exclusion zone is in place around the area. Outside of this precautionary zone, there are no site access restrictions and work can be conducted as required.

“A number of associated units have been shut down, and work is underway to assess the requirements to bring them back online.”

READ MORE: Fawley refinery incident: Health and Safety Executive making inquiries

An HSE spokesperson told the Daily Echo: “HSE inspectors have attended the site and an investigation into the incident is ongoing.”

Asked about the reported collapse of a 100-tonne platform an ExxonMobil spokesperson said: “ExxonMobil Fawley has its own large and skilled workforce who are ensuring continued safe operations.

“We apply rigorous safety standards and adhere to all applicable laws.

“We continue to encourage the trade unions and employers to work together to quickly resolve this matter.”

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this article – we appreciate your support in reading the Daily Echo.

Subscribing to the Echo means you have unrestricted access to the latest news, features and Saints coverage – all with an advertising-light website.

You will also have full access to Saintsplus, your new home for Southampton FC tactical analysis, features and much, much more.

Don’t just take my word for it – subscribe today.

Follow the latest breaking news in the Southampton area by searching Southampton News – Breaking News and Incidents on Facebook

Follow the latest court and crime news on our dedicated group by searching Hampshire Court and Crime News on Facebook.

Leave a Comment